Lick Mats For Dogs And Cats
Today we take a look at lick mats for dogs and explore ways they can benefit our dogs and cats.
What Is A Lick Mat?
They’re interactive food puzzles that offer a bunch of benefits while keeping your dog entertained and engaged.
Picture this: a rubber or silicone mat with all sorts of nooks and crannies that’s just waiting to be loaded with your dog’s favorite treats or soft foods. It’s like a delightful food adventure for them!
But it’s not just about the fun; there are some really great benefits to Lick Mats:
Mental Workout: Lick Mats provide a little brain exercise for your pup. They have to figure out how to get every last bit of yummy goodness from those textured surfaces, which keeps their minds active and sharp.
Slow Feeder: If your dog is a vacuum cleaner when it comes to mealtime, Lick mats can save the day. Smearing their food on these mats makes them slow down and savour their meals. This helps reduce the risk of digestive problems and vomiting after bolting food.
Chill and Calm: The rhythmic licking action is strangely calming for dogs. It’s like doggy meditation! So, if your four-legged buddy gets anxious during thunder storms, fireworks or has separation anxiety, a lick mat can be a soothing distraction. If your dog hates car travel, put a lick mat in his crate and he has something fun to do instead of making the journey stressful for everyone, and the time will fly by.
Oral Hygiene: Licking the mat also boosts saliva production, which helps with teeth and gum health.It also scrapes food particles and odour-causing bacteria off your pet’s tongue, promoting healthier teeth, gums and fresher breath.
Weight Watcher’s Friend: For pups watching their waistlines, lick mats can be a great addition to their diet plan. It makes them work for their food, so portion control becomes a breeze. You can add low calorie foods to the mat as a treat or spread wet food as a meal.
Entertainment and Distraction: Lick mats come in handy during crate training, grooming sessions, vet visits, or when you just need your pup to stay occupied. These are great for puppies too. If you need to do some chores or take a shower, a lick mat will keep the puppy happy and safe.
Appetite Stimulants : Maybe your dog is recovering from an illness, is a fussy eater or has a reduced appetite. The lick mat adds the pleasure of licking to your dog’s food and makes mealtimes a fun and relaxing experience
Oh, and don’t forget the hydration hack! You can spread some liquid treats on the mat and pop it in the freezer for a refreshing, lickable doggy popsicle that will last twice as long!
To use a lick mat, simply spread your dog’s favorite food on the textured surface and let them go to town.
What Foods Can I Use On A Lick Mat?
Basically, most foods safe for dogs can be mashed or liquidised and added to a mat.
Top Tip For Lick Mat Recipes
Why not use the left overs from a Sunday lunch to give your pooch a really tasty treat he will love?
Just mash or blend carrots, sweet potatoes, broccoli, green beans, unsweetened cranberry sauce, and a little meat with bones and skin removed.
Do the same with casseroles, stews or thick soups. Just put a small canine portion to one side before adding spices, garlic and salt.
- Peanut Butter: A classic favourite for dogs, but make sure it’s unsalted and doesn’t contain xylitol, which is toxic to dogs.
- Yoghurt: Plain, unsweetened yogurt is a good source of probiotics and can be a healthy choice.
- Canned Dog Food: Many types of canned dog food can be spread on lick mats.
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes: A nutritious and tasty option for dogs.
- Canned Pumpkin: It’s not only delicious but can also aid in digestion.
- Cottage Cheese: A protein-rich option, but be mindful of lactose intolerance in some dogs.
- Baby Food: Choose baby food without onion or garlic, and avoid those with added ingredients like spices or sugars.
- Fruits: Some dogs enjoy fruit spreads like mashed banana or unsweetened apple sauce.
- Canned Tuna or Salmon: A special treat for fish-loving dogs.
- Homemade Broths: Create your own broth by simmering chicken or beef with water and freeze it in Lickimat-friendly portions.
- Frozen Treats: You can mix yogurt with small bits of dog-safe fruits or veggies, freeze it, and serve as a cooling summer treat.
- Mashed Vegetables: Cooked and mashed carrots, peas, or broccoli can be great options.
I love a product that has multi uses, and these innovative products certainly provide that.
Here are the reasons why I like this.
- It is suitable for both dogs and cats.
- It can be attached to a shiny surface with its durable suction pads (e.g. a bathroom or kitchen tile). By doing this, you can distract your dog when you wash him, trim nails, change dressings etc.
- This Lick Mat is suitable for dishwashers or can be hand washed with warm, soapy water.
- It can be used as a slow feeder for dogs who eat too quickly.
- It helps with dental care, exercises the brain, reduces anxiety and aids reduced appetite.
- This lick mat can have fruit or yoghurt added to it, and is safe to place in the freezer for a hydrating and cooling summer treat.
- This includes two mats, a spatula to spread the food evenly and a brush to clean after use.
Lick Mat For Dog Crates
This lick mat has an additional benefit, a detachable knob which allows the mat to be attached to the inside of a crate.
This is a great way to get your dog used to being in a crate. Leave the door open at first and let the dog associate the crate with something fun and tasty.
Crate training is important because you want a safe area where your dog can go to be completely safe for short periods. We all have busy lives and want the reassurance that we can pop to the shops, or pick the children up from school whilst leaving a dog in a secure place where he feels happy.
Lick mats are available in various sizes and designs, so you can pick the one that suits your dog’s size and style. It’s a win-win: your pup stays happy and healthy, and you get to enjoy watching them have a blast!