How To Keep Your Dog Cool This Summer, (Dog Sunburn, and Dehydration)
It’s really important to keep a close eye on your dog during the hot Summer months. If we feel hot and bothered you can only imagine how the heat is affecting our dogs with thick furry coats. There are some innovative products that you can buy to keep your dog cool and prevent sunburn, but first, here are a few tips to try.
Here are a few basic tips to prevent dog sunburn and heatstroke.
- Make sure there is a shaded area in your garden
- Refill water bowls, add ice to keep cool.
- Place a fan close to the dog and keep windows open.
- Make frozen treats for your dog
- Give the dogs access to a paddling pool.
- Wrap wet towels on the dog if he is overheating.
- Always carry drinking water
- Walk the dog in the morning or early evening
- Keep away from hot pavements
- Apply sunscreen
Do Dogs Get Sunburnt?
Dogs skin can burn in much the same way that ours can. Look out for signs of redness around the nose, stomach, and paws.
If the dog is going to be in the sun (eg at the beach) apply a vet-approved sunscreen to all exposed areas, it will also protect your dog against skin cancer.
White dogs have fair skin and are more susceptible to sunburn, and so are hairless breeds and dogs with naturally fine fur.
Don’t shave a long-haired dog in summer, the fur protects the skin and shaving will expose the skin to harmful rays
Here is a simple checklist of symptoms to look out for if you suspect a dog is dehydrated.
- Dry Nose
- Loss of Appetite.
- Dry, sunken eyes
- Lack of skin elasticity.
- A vet told me to lift some skin at the back of the neck and watch how quickly the skin returns to normal. A well-hydrated dogs skin should spring back quickly.
How to Restore Hydration
When one of my own dogs was very sick and refusing to drink I gently rubbed ice cubes around her gums, it takes patience but works. I found it perked her up enough to take a few sips from a bowl.
The hydration sachets given to children can be offered and come in enticing flavours.
Try some tasty, warm, chicken stock.
The dog can be given fluids intravenously by the vet if the dehydration is severe.
How Much Should My Dog Drink Each Day?
A 10-pound dog should drink at least 20 ounces of water per day.
Dogs most susceptible to heat stroke
- French Bulldogs and Boston Terriers
- Brachycephalic dogs (with a short muzzle)
Take a look at my post to see why these breeds are affected by hot temperatures.
Here are some clever ways to keep your dog cool and hydrated throughout the summer months.
Keep water cool at all times with this innovative cooling bowl
- A must-have for pets on hot summer days!
- Designed to keep water cool for hours
- Easy to use—simply freeze insert overnight for maximum cooling effect
- Available in Small and Medium sizes
Chill out Ice Bandana to keep your dog cool.
- Chill out ice bandana for dogs
- Keeps your dog cool during those hot summer days
- Features special cooling technologies
- Comfortable and non-toxic
- Large, measures 17.7 L x 17.7 W x 0.4 H
- A Coolest Playmate Dog Toy in Hot Summer: No more hot dogs from now on. This dog toy is the latest and most unique breakthrough toy ever for dogs. Pets will feel pleasantly cool when licking the toy; allow pets to have a joyful and comfortable life in hot weather without suffering from heat. A perfect accompany in the hot summer.
This post contains affiliate links.