Having a new puppy is a momentous, life-changing occasion. It doesn’t matter how much preparation you’ve done, there will be times when you feel you’ve made a huge mistake. It’s a massive fifteen-year commitment and the first weeks pass in a sleep-deprived blur. One minute you feel that you’ve finally mastered the house training, only to return home and find that you’re back to square one.
So why do we do it?
Of course, the obvious reason is that puppies are so flipping cute!
However, if you persevere with the training, be consistent, kind and firm, a wonderful companion will emerge from that bundle of fun who will be there for you no matter what.
Here is a poem about bringing a new puppy into the family
Today is the day, we waited for
A brand-new puppy to love and adore
He has a new collar and a comfortable bed
So when he gets tired he can rest his sweet head
The house is ready, the gardens secure
There’s treats in the cupboard, a lead by the door
We’ll pat his head and throw his ball
Teach him to fetch and good recall
We’ll keep him healthy, safe and well
So, full of pride, our hearts will swell
And as the months turn into years
He’ll make us laugh and dry our tears.
Here are a few tips which will make the first few weeks with a new puppy easier.
1 Book some time off work.It will give you time to bond with your puppy and cope better with sleepless nights.
2 Stock up on disinfectant, baby wipes, carpet cleaner and kitchen towels.
3 Invest in a good mop, it will become your best friend.
4 Enjoy every minute because they grow so fast, take loads of photos and videos because you’ll enjoy looking back at them.
5 Buy a second-hand baby gate, it will give you both some essential time out and help to keep you sane.
6 If a possession means a lot to you, lock it away for six months. Put the Persian rug in the attic and the Loubitons back in the box, it won’t be forever!
7. Buy a few puppy toys designed for the chewing and teething stage, some can be frozen to cool the gums.
8 Don’t buy a posh bed at this stage, wait until the dog is fully grown, a small budget bed will be adequate with a soft blanket.
9 Never leave the house without poo bags, keep some in the car, your handbag and every pocket in every coat.
10 Think about crate training. This post here has lots more information.
I Couldn’t End This Post Without Posting Some Cute Puppy Pics
Luca 9 weeks
4-in-1 Puppy Training Essentials Kit
Bark Control Ultrasonic Whistle, Potty House Train Doorbells, Treat Pouch W/ Waste Bag Dispenser & Pet Clicker W/ Strap. Thoughtful Gift Set for New Dog Owners
- VALUE PACK – 4 MUST HAVE ACCESSORIES FOR HOUSETRAINING YOUR NEW DOG. Teach your dog basic commands like Sit, Come, Potty Training, Stop Bark and more using these 5 training devices. PREMIUM QUALITY & EXTRA DURABLE. Great for all dog breeds, regardless of age, gender and size. 100% SATISFACTION OR YOUR MONEY BACK.
- TOILET TRAINING DOOR BELLS – No more scratching & barking when he has to go to the toilet – he will tell you when nature calls. Dog Training Bells are the perfect solution to potty train your pet. It is proven to be an Easier, Better Way for your dog to communicate Instead of barking & scratching. Comes with 6 loud, high-quality bells. Simply place them on your door’s handle and start training your dog. Adjustable height to fit all dog sizes.
- STOP-BARK ULTRASONIC WHISTLE – Easily teach your dog unlimited commands such as sit, come, stop barking, stay, and more, by using sequences that only he/she understand. Silver, lightweight silent bark control for dogs of all sizes and breeds. Comes with lanyard neck strap.
- BEHAVIORAL CONDITIONING TRAINING CLICKER – A scientific method of training puppies and young adult pets safely and easily. Can be used to train your dog’s basic obedience, tricks, and to correct bad behavior – . Comes with elastic wrist straps to prevent them from being dropped. Button presses easily and comes right back up without getting stuck. Ideal sound balance – not too loud nor too soft.
- TREATS POUCH WITH WASTE BAG DISPENSER – Use this multifunction pouch bag during your walks to hold your phone, keys, and other valuables with your dog’s treats, kibbles & toys. Designed with a built-in poop bag dispenser, where you can put all the waste bags inside it and easily pull some when nature calls. Can be worn as a waistband or as a shoulder strap. Made of lightweight weatherproof nylon fabric material that keeps your dog treats dry
This post contains affiliate links which means that if you click on a link in the post and make a purchase I may get a small commission. However, this does not affect my opinion in any way and the price to the customer remains the same.