Be a Better Dog Owner
We all love our dogs but there is always a small adjustment that we can add to the way we care for them. Just a small tweak can bring on fantastic health results and make you into a better dog owner.
I put together a series of concise bullet points that I use with my own dogs. Links are included to more detailed posts from this blog if required.
I hope you find them useful.
How is your dog’s diet?
- Give green beans instead of treats. They can be raw, cooked or even frozen.
- Add coconut oil to the food. Just half a teaspoon to start with, they do seem to like the taste.
- Add some fish oil to their diet by occasionally adding sardines (my dogs favourite) tuna or salmon.
- Make some healthy dog treats. Using just a few ingredients, tasty and healthy snacks can be made instead of shop bought treats. There are hundreds of recipes online and they are all super quick and inexpensive. My dogs love frozen dog treats in the summer
2. Does your dog get enough exercise?
- Next time you go for a walk, take a ball with you, the dog will cover more ground chasing after it and you can get some recall training done at the same time.
- Change your route, your dog will pick up different scents and get more stimulation from a different area.
- Walk with a friend who has a dog, this will make your dog more sociable.
3. Is your dog Insured?
Take out a policy or open a savings account for your dog’s care and add to it each week. Many health problems can be solved if spotted early. With insurance in place you can get symptoms checked as soon as you spot them, and save valuable time.
4. Is your dog mentally stimulated?
We know how important physical exercise is for your dog. However, mental stimulation through play is just as important. Boredom busting toys are widely available and stop destructive behaviour. Interactive puzzles keep the dog’s brain active and make playtime fun.
This dog enrichment toy integrating funny sound, puzzle games, food dispenser and other functions. Pets can stimulate their brain development and improve IQ through playing with the puzzle toy to get food rewards, which can also make dogs more and more stable in mood and character
- Make your dog work for his food or treats by adding a food puzzle.
- This interactive dog toy has kept my miniature dachshund amused for hours. I bought this two years ago and it is still in good working order.
- Use a dog enrichment toy, like a snuffle mat, to hide food. This acts as a slow feeder, increases brain power and is great fun for your dog.
5. Is your dog chipped?
- All dogs should be chipped by the breeder. Ask when you pick up your puppy for all chip details. This will help you get your dog back if he/she is lost or stolen.
- Always check chip details are up to date with your vet. My own rescue dog has been chipped twice by different owners, we needed to ensure that the correct details were on file.
- Brushing or combing will not only improve the dog’s appearance. It will give you the chance to get a close look to see if he has any skin irritations, fur loss, hot spots, sore paws etc
- Keep your dog’s nails trimmed with specially designed dog clippers. If you struggle with nail clipping ask your groomer or vet to show you.
If you have a dog with a long coat that tangles easily, this natural conditioning spray makes grooming more comfortable for your dog …..and less frustrating for you!
- No more tangle-based tantrums! Our pH balanced detangling dog conditioner spray leaves your pup's fur silky & smooth, whilst dematting stubborn knots & tangles. Give your pooch a spritz, leave in & watch their coat gleam!
- PROTECT: With soothing citrus extracts designed to replenish & wheat proteins to restore shine, this dog spray will nourish your pup's skin & fur.
Aroma Paws Dog Coat Conditioning Spray – Pet-Friendly Detangler Spray with Natural Essential Oils for Dogs – Daily Dog Spray to Eliminate Odors and Knots – Lemongrass Vanilla Bean – 4.5 oz.
- Skin and Coat Conditioner Spray: With subtle lemongrass vanilla bean extracts for a fresh, clean fragrance, ideal for spring and summer
- Tangle-Free: This dog conditioning spray contains essential oils and botanical extracts to help condition and loosen knots and tangles for easier brushing
- Multi-Purpose: This conditioning spray for dogs is non toxic, and can also be used to deodorize any area that your dog comes in contact with like beddings, furniture, or car
- Safe for All: This coat spray is pH balanced and formulated to effectively loosen and detangle knots, yet sensitive and safe enough for all breeds and ages
- Made in the USA: All products from Aroma Paws are proudly made in the USA under strict quality control standards, offering all-natural benefits for furry friends, pet parents, and the environment
You don’t have to be an expert to massage your dog. Just gently stroking and running your hands over the dog’s muscles will make both of you feel bonded and relaxed.
- Buy good quality, durable dog toys that cannot be destroyed or chewed up, possibly causing a blockage in the intestine.
- Try to buy toys that will stimulate the dog and relieve boredom.
- Toys designed for puppy chewing will save money in the long run by stopping destructive chewing. Many are designed to put in the freezer to soothe sore gums.
- Ball throwers will vastly increase how much exercise your dog gets on a regular walk.
Dog dental health is so important. By cleaning your dog’s teeth regularly you will save money on expensive surgical doggy dentals. Make teeth cleaning less stressful with theses dental chews which are specially designed to clean teeth and maintain healthy gums.
- The unique texture of GREENIES Dog Chews cleans down to the gumline to fight plaque and tartar and freshen breath
- Treat your dog deliciously with the great taste of GREENIES Original Dental Treats
- GREENIES Dog Treats are proudly made in our Kansas City, MO, USA facility with the world’s finest ingredients
- GREENIES Dog Treats are made with natural ingredients plus vitamins, minerals, & nutrients
The following post shows how to recognise a healthy dog’s mouth. It gives a checklist of symptoms to look out for by checking the tongue and gums.
Healthy dogs make happy dogs and what better way to nourish them than with a grain-free dog chew made entirely of fish with no artificial colours, flavours and sugars. Not only will dogs love the taste, but fish is packed full of omega-3's and 6's, aiding with joints, coat, skin, heart and teeth. Our 100% fish snacks are naturally high in protein and low in fat while also being hypoallergenic and gluten-free, making them the ideal treat for a diet.
Make sure they have regular dental chews. Mine love fish skin cubes, they are natural and work on teeth, gums and improve the breath of your dog.
Coconut oil will help with dental hygiene.
Just the addition of some raw carrot or apple can cut down on dental plaque and freshen breath.
Always keep an eye on your dog and watch out for anything out of the ordinary.
Check that the dog is eating, drinking, urinating, emptying bowels and playing as normal.
Detecting early signs of illness could save his life.
Conclusion to How To Be A Better Dog Owner
Small changes can really help you be a better dog owner.
Take care of nutrition and dental health to keep your dog healthy.
Keep dog’s minds and bodies in tip top condition with exercise and interactive toys.
Observe, touch and use your intuition to spot signs of illness and get symptoms checked early.
Do you have any tips to keep your dog healthy?
I would love to know in the comments.