15 Low Shedding Dog Breeds- Hypoallergenic Breeds

15 Low Shedding Dog Breeds- Hypoallergenic Breeds

There is no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog but some dogs have coats which shed less and therefore are the best for allergy sufferers. It is the dander, which is attached to pet hair, that affects people with pet allergies. However, there are a few low shedding dog breeds which may make great pets for people with mild allergies.

It is normal for a dog to develop a thicker coat in Winter, then shed it in Spring. However, if your dog starts to shed excessively or develop bald patches, there may be an underlying medical condition or stress-related illness, so talk to your vet.

Low shedding Dog Breeds

Whippet

Yorkshire Terrier

Kerry Blue Terrier

Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Portuguese Water Dog

Briard

Low Shedding Dog Breeds (1)

Simple Tips To Reduce Dog Shedding

1.You can cut down on the amount of pet hair in your home with regular brushing.

2. Good nutrition can also help to reduce shedding in dogs. Cheap products have a high percentage of grains that are hard for the dog to digest. Look for a product which has a higher meat content.

3. Improve the quality of a dogs coat by adding a drop of olive oil or coconut oil to their food and add salmon, tuna or sardines to their diet (no bones).

4. Also, fish skins given as a treat will also add nutrients and clean teeth. My dogs really love them but make sure that you keep in an airtight container because the smell is very strong.

5. Dehydration can also cause the skin to dry and therefore more fur is lost, so keep the water bowls topped up.

6. Regular baths help to reduce shedding in dogs followed by a towel dry and light hair dryer. Use a special de-shedding brush which can be purchased from pet shops.

Reduce Shedding in the Home

It goes without saying that regular vacuuming is important when you have a shedding dog in your home. Special pet hoovers are available with attachments to clean upholstery as well as carpets.

A lint remover is a must for removing pet hair from clothes. You can also use a brush or glove with rubber bristles which are designed for pet hair removal from clothes and upholstery.

TopTip… Simply wipe with a tumble dryer sheet which will remove fur, and in addition, repels dust and pet hair.

An air purifier will filter the dust and allergens from the air.

Low Shedding Dog Breeds (2)

Dogs that shed the most

If you do suffer from allergies, are house proud or don’t have the time for daily dog grooming there will be certain breeds to avoid.

The following breeds are known to be high shedders.

Newfoundland

Pekingese

Golden Retriever

German Shepherd

Alaskan Husky.

Border Collie

Recommended Products To Reduce Shedding

Low shedding Dog Breed product

Organic Coconut Oil        Fish Skins For Dogs         Grooming Brush

Grooming Gloves

Additional Reading

Grooming and Bathing Tips

Amazing Reasons To Give Your Dog Coconut Oil

Thank you for reading about low shedding dog breeds.

22 comments for “15 Low Shedding Dog Breeds- Hypoallergenic Breeds

1. 13th October 2017 at 5:18 pm

I feel like border collies should be on the top list, lol! Just seems like it sometimes. I’m always cleaning it up and furminating them. <3 Thanks for the advice!

• 13th October 2017 at 6:31 pm

I’ll add border collies, just for you!

• 14th October 2017 at 4:14 pm

They’re not supposed to be huge shredders I thought? Mine are though. Thanks. 😉❤

• 14th October 2017 at 4:16 pm

I meant *shedders* 😉😊

• 14th October 2017 at 4:19 pm

Haha, my dogs a shredder if he can get to the post!

2. 13th October 2017 at 5:39 pm

Great article. I had no idea that the Llhasa Apso was a low shedder. That was the other breed I considered before getting involved with my beautiful Cavalier Spaniels who are very heavy fur-shedders all year round.

• 13th October 2017 at 6:35 pm

They are worth the mess!

• 13th October 2017 at 8:05 pm

Oh yes, they certainly are. My first dog was so clever he knew when I had my work suits on and didn’t cover me in fur, if I was in my jeans he was all over me.

3. 15th October 2017 at 2:33 am

My husky always would shed like crazy until I started using an undercoat rake a few times a week. She still sheds but it is wayyyyy less! I use the paws pamper undercoat rake, highly recommend =)

4. 26th October 2017 at 4:04 pm

I’d add Kerry Blue Terrier, Soft-coated Wheaten Terrier, Portuguese Water Dog & Spanish Water Dog to the list of non-shedders. And Briards.

5. linda
    3rd November 2017 at 4:52 pm

I have a 7 lb Pomeranian that sheds so much, all the time, all year round! I have clumps of dog hair rolling across my hardwood floors like freaking Prarie Balls. At first I thought there must be some kind of medical problem, but the vet I use says it’s normal. I have it on my clothes, on my bed, on my face, stuck in my eyelashes, all over my kitchen counters. Anyone wanna come over for lunch? Lol

• 3rd November 2017 at 10:07 pm

I ‘d still come over Linda, I love Pomeranians!

6. Kim T.
    4th January 2018 at 3:15 am

Don’t forget the wonderful Coton de Tulear.

• 4th January 2018 at 6:26 pm

Ohhh not heard of that one, but googled and they are DIVINE, thank you I will add to the list.

7. Claire
    31st March 2018 at 7:50 am

My F2 Goldendoodle doesn’t shed at all

• waggytalesdogblog
      31st March 2018 at 11:21 am

Thats really interesting because my daughter has a five month old Goldendoodle. She was told by the breeder that he wouldn’t shed but he does. How old is your Golden?,I would love to ask you a few questions about him/her if you don’t mind, we are having a few training problems and don’t know anyone else with this breed. He’s such an adorable puppy, but doesn’t seem to know how big he is!

8. Kat Brux
    5th May 2018 at 6:57 pm

I’m guessing Dachshunds shedding degrees can vary, just like the Goldendoodle you mentioned. My childhood Doxie didn’t shed much. However, the purebred Doxie I have now sheds, yet not as much as my Chihuahua mix. I thought he had Whippet and Terrier in him too. The shelter didn’t know what exactly. I realize if a Jack Russell terrier, then that would be a big factor to all the shedding. I had always heard Terriers and Poodles don’t shed, but I have learned not all terriers are non-shedders, i.e Pit Bull Terriers and Jack Russell’s.

• waggytalesdogblog
      6th May 2018 at 9:40 am

I have a chihuahua mix too, she doesn’t shed but she has to be brushed daily because her fur can mat overnight. My dachshund doesn’t shed but we have had others that did. The worst I can remember was a Jack Russell cross I fostered. Could never understand how much fur came off such a little dog! Thank you for your comment .