How Hard Can It Be? by Allison Pearson.

How Hard Can It Be?

Allison Pearson

Description

So, it’s very refreshing to read about a woman approaching fifty who can articulate exactly how she feels exquisitely, with laugh out loud humour.

Kate Reddy is fast approaching the big ‘5 0’ , she is married to Rich. who is going through his own mid-life crisis and has two teenage children. Her  son  hardly  ever looks up from his phone, and her daughter finds herself in a position where a particular body part is displayed to the World via Facebook

I loved how she referred to her brain as ‘Roy’ the dithery librarian who desperately hunts out information for her in a vast room of knowledge. Sometimes she will ask Roy the name of an acquaintance only to be told where she has left her glasses.

A cleverly written book which portrays the horror of the menopause, the hardships of returning to work as a forty-nine-year-old, and having to care for elderly parents who are becoming increasingly frail. However, the humour throughout this book makes it into a highly enjoyable, hilarious read.

The characters are so well portrayed that they could belong to members of your own family and Kate is purely adorable.

A book for all women because the subject matter is so often shunned and needs to be talked about more openly, and because we all need a really good laugh now and again.

The book was kindly sent me by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

About the Author

Allison Pearson was born in South Wales. She is a columnist and feature writer for the Daily Telegraph. Allison’s first novel, I Don’t Know How She Does It, was an international bestseller; translated into 32 languages it was made into a movie of the same name. Oprah Winfrey called the book ‘A Bible for the working mother’. Allison lives in Cambridge with her family and two poodles. You can find her on Twitter @allisonpearson

8 comments for “How Hard Can It Be? by Allison Pearson.

1. 25th September 2017 at 7:10 pm

Did not know there was a sequel! Thanks!

• 25th September 2017 at 9:23 pm

I haven’t read the first but this one is really funny.

• 25th September 2017 at 9:29 pm

I thought the first was really well done. Movie, not so much

2. 25th September 2017 at 11:18 pm

May have to get a copy. I’m the other side of this so no more blonde moments or menopausal fog, I’m now well and truly into senior moments. All the same though, I still don’t know what I came in to this room for!

• 26th September 2017 at 2:35 pm

Blonde moments! Menopausal Fog !Senior Moments! where will it end Brindy? You were looking for your glasses, try the fridge! Any ideas where I put my phone? xx

3. 26th September 2017 at 5:59 pm

And I go in a shop for bread & come out with milk…

4. 27th September 2017 at 7:13 pm

Hi – stopped by to send you an email and saw this review. I didn’t know there was a sequel! Will have to get it. How refreshing to see a book about a 50 yr old woman!! (I told my agent I had an idea for a book about a 50-yr-old woman and she told me to change it to a 40-year-old. Sigh. Even though we are both in our 50s! Anyway… I never did write that book.) But I digress. This sounds fabulous and I can definitely relate (unfortunately) to the menopausal fog!

• 27th September 2017 at 10:19 pm

Hi there, it really is funny and I can relate too! You should write that book , I would buy it!