How to keep your dog’s nails trimmed
Darcy came to me as a rescue and he will retaliate if he even thinks someone is going to hurt him so it was never going to be easy to cut his nails. They were getting long and I was trying everything I could to cut them at home, sometimes going to extreme lengths to get him to trust me.
First I left the nail clippers hanging around where he could see them (he hates anything new in the house) His inquisitive nature would mean that the clippers had been thoroughly examined by Darcy’s nose and passed his house rules. Unfortunately, the vacuum cleaner has never passed this examination and poor Henry Hoover is attacked on a daily basis.
Next, I sat with him on my knee and pretended to file my nails with the dog file! It didn’t work!
We tried offering treats and using a muzzle but we got absolutely nowhere. This is the only dog I’ve ever struggled with and as he only likes to walk on grass it was a problem that was not going away. I was nervous about taking him to the vet because they need their fingers to make a living and I didn’t want to jeopardise someone’s livelihood!
Last time I took him to a grooming parlour and that traumatised him, the sight of three grown adults trying to hold a 5kg dog was not for the faint-hearted!
So on Friday, he went off to see a vet who had been fully briefed on Darcy’s problem nails. He was muzzled and the vet took off a little from each nail whilst talking to Darcy in a very soothing voice. He screamed and wriggled as if we were amputating his head not cutting his nails. The waiting room had emptied when we left!
So, we made progress and I feel so relieved. In two weeks we have to go again to cut the claws a little more. The vet has prescribed Adaptil to keep him calm and we have to go armed with chicken.
Just wanted to add that Darcy is the most loving dog in normal circumstances. I think his feisty, stubborn side is what got him through some horrendous situations so I make massive allowances for him.
Does anyone else have trouble cutting their dog’s nails?
Has anyone got any tips?
Here is a photo of my little angel, Mr Darcy,……. mini dachshund, massive attitude!
PediPaws is a new way that may be useful in keeping cats and dogs nails beautifully manicured.
Replace expensive groomers, protect Fido from pain, and keep furniture and floors scratch-free with this ingenious way to give pets perfect pedicures. It’s not a clipper — it’s a file with rotating emery bands that gradually and gently remove enamel in thin layers, while a cap collects the shavings so everything stays neat and tidy.
- No cutting or pinching sensitive tissue and nerves like ordinary clippers
- Cordless and lightweight
- Perfect for cats, too
- Uses 2 C batteries (not included)
- PROFESSIONAL GRADE, PREMIUM BUILD – Don’t fret yourself with sub-par products. Used by veterinarians and professional groomers, Thunderpaws Nail Clippers are built with high quality stainless steel blades to ensure a clean cut in one smooth action
- ERGONOMIC AND EASY TO USE – Non-slip rubber handles that are ergonomically designed for a comfortable grip and ensuring a safe nail trimming experience for you and your dog
- DESIGNED FOR SAFETY FIRST – Nail trimming should be an easy experience, which is why each Thunderpaws Nail Clippers comes with a protective guard to protect your pets from “over-trimming” and safety lock for easy storage. Use the product as instructed to avoid injury to your pet. Only use for pet nail and keep out of the reach of children. The nail clipper is very sharp. Ensure it is properly locked and stored.
- SAVE BIG ON VET BILLS – Thunderpaws Nail Clippers is the complete solution for nail trimming that comes with an easy stored nail file. For the price of a single grooming session, you will never need to visit the groomer’s to get your pet nails trimmed again!
- PURCHASE WITHOUT WORRY – Each Thunderpaws Nail Clippers come with a lifetime warranty and 90-day 100% money back guarantee. If you find any quirks let our highly-rated, friendly and responsive after-sales support know and we’ll refund 100% of your money back, no questions asked. Click the Add To Cart button NOW to ensure you receive the highest quality premium Dog Nail Clippers on Amazon.
This website contains endorsements for products and services, which means when you click on a link that I recommend, I may receive a commission. Not every link is an affiliate link, but some are.