Fake Cakes Tutorial
Find out how to make these delicious looking treats with this fake cake tutorial. It’s easy once you know how!
Some of these have been used as theatre props in productions like Alice in Wonderland. Others were used by a big china company to help display their beautiful cake stands. They look great in a shabby chic setting with lots of vintage china and distressed wood.
How To Make A Fake Cupcake
- Fill a silicone cupcake case with plaster of Paris and leave for 24 hours until completely hard.
- Remove from silicone case and paint or use napkin decoupage to decorate.
- Add a small amount of paint to decorator’s caulk and mix well until desired colour is achieved.
- Spoon the decorator’s caulk into a disposable piping bag and pipe on to the cupcake base using a swirling movement.
- Add a fake cherry or strawberry to the top, lightly varnish, then add a sprinkling of very fine white glitter.
- Leave to dry for approximately 48 hours.
- Chocolate flakes are made by using painted penne pasta with air drying clay in one end, then varnished to make stronger.
- If you would prefer an easier option to cupcakes, use a cup and saucer. Just follow the instructions above from number 3, piping straight into the cup.
- Painted polystyrene foam looks just like sponge cake when painted. Cut into triangles then sandwich together with decorator’s caulk to make a realistic slice of cake. Then pipe decorator’s caulk on to the top and add paper flowers or fake fruit.
- Use Fimo clay to make small flowers or fruit to decorate.
How To Make Fake Chocolates
- Use a silicone chocolate mould, these can be found in the baking aisle or kitchenware department. You can also use an empty chocolate box to make the moulds.
- Fill the chocolate mould with plaster of Paris and leave to set and dry.
- Remove from the mould and colour with acrylic paint.
- Apply clear varnish to all sides. This gives the chocolate a lovely sheen and make it extra durable.
- Use a disposable piping bag with a very small nozzle to decorate the chocolates with caulk.
- Leave to dry.
These are the products I use to make the fake cakes and chocolates.
*Amazon Affiliate Links
This post shows you how to get a shabby chic or country farmhouse theme by adding napkin decoupage to ordinary household items.
Wow, these are great, I definitely guessed real at first glance 😀!
They look delicious. I wouldn’t have guessed they were fake!
Thank you, they were fun to make x
Wow, totally look real and delicious!!!
Thank you x
These are beautiful! What a talent you and your sister have. It is very difficult to tell whether they are real or not.
Ahhhhh, thank you, it’s lovely of you to say so.